In the very center of Krakow, yet away from the hustle and bustle of the streets, in the vicinity of the Planty Park, behind a high wall, lies the historic Garden of the Archaeological Museum. The garden, designed in the Renaissance style, covers an area of approximately 0.5 ha.
HISTORY The origins of the garden date back to the 17th century. The garden buildings were built at the now defunct Carmelite Monastery and the Church of St. Michael and St. Joseph. In 1797, by decision of the then Austrian authorities, the monastery was converted into a prison.Between the years 1958-1966 the complex of former monastery and prison buildings was converted to house the Archaeological Museum. In 1961, works aimed at reconstructing the garden in its original appearance began in the area of the former garden development. The design of the garden in the Renaissance style was drafted by scientists from the Cracow University of Technology, under the supervision of professors Gerard Ciołek, and then Stefan Żychoń. The project was carried out by the Monuments Conservation Studios in Krakow. The garden was put into use at the turn of 1967/68.
A corner of silence at the foot of the Wawel Castle.
Currently, in the garden of the Archaeological Museum there is a wide variety of vegetation: thuja trees, hydrangeas, magnolias, roses, shrubs, perennials. There is also a tree with an exotic appearance – catalpa, which is characterized by a lush crown, large heart-shaped leaves and cream-colored flowers. Walking along the garden paths, we can admire the beautiful view of the Wawel Castle.Outdoor events are held in the garden grounds, such as the Archaeological Picnic, the Military Picnic, company events, classical and light music concerts (Student Song Festival, Mens Playing event). Among others, Catalan singer-songwriter Lluís Llach performed here.The garden grounds are also a place for sculptors’ exhibitions. Among the greenery, we can see ceramic sculptures by artists from Wrocław. There is, among others, sculpture inspired by Światowid by Małgorzata Swolkień. The garden is open all year round.
ABOUT THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM: The Archaeological Museum in Krakow is the oldest Polish archaeological museum. It was established in 1850 as the Museum of Antiquities In the Main Building of the Museum, permanent exhibitions are presented, including : • Gods of Ancient Egypt (collection of antiquities from ancient Egypt) • Prehistory and early Middle Ages of Małopolska (collection of exhibits presenting various aspects of the life of the former inhabitants of Małopolska).